Sunday, November 24, 2013

A Holiday Cookie Recipe Exchange Party!



It's almost time to start baking for Christmas. My freezer is stacked with butter, the sugar container is full, I've stocked up on chocolate, and all is ready to go. The fragrance of cinnamon and spice and everything nice will fill the house with a holiday spirit and I'll be turning up the volume on the Christmas music and doing a little dance as I mix, roll, cut, and frost several batches of our holiday favorites.

I do hope you'll join me!

Just send your family's favorite cookie recipes to my email address: klee2strings@gmail.com. Please tell us a bit about this recipe - where it came from, what it means to your family, whatever makes it special. Attach a photo or two to the email, if you'd like.

I'll post as many as I can whenever you send them. This is so exciting! I love cookie exchanges!

I'll start.

These gingerbread cookies are a big favorite in our family. It all started with a gift. Long ago, very long ago, in fact, when I was the young mother of a toddler, someone gave me a set of Christmas cookie cutters. Shortly afterwards I happened upon this recipe and that was the end of that! I've tried several different recipes over the years, but we always go back to this one.

Gingerbread Cookies 
The number of cookies will depend on how large you make them, but this recipe makes a LOT of cookies!

1 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1 egg
1 c. dark molasses
2 T. vinegar
5 c. sifted flour
1 1/2 t. salt
2 t. ginger
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. cloves

Cream butter; add sugar gradually. Bean in egg, molasses and vinegar. Blend in sifted dry ingredients. Chill. Roll  1/8 to 1/4 inch thick on floured surface; cut into desired shapes. Place on greased cookie sheets or on cookie sheets lined with baking parchment. Bake at 375 degrees F. for 5 to 15 minutes depending on size and thickness of cookie.

Decorate with icing and candies.

Icing Recipe

2 c powdered sugar
2 large egg whites
1/4 t. cream of tartar
3 to 4 t. warm water

With electric mixer, blend the ingredients on low speed, then beat on high speed for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the mixture holds a stiff peak. If icing is too thick, add a little more water ( 1/4 teaspoon at a time). You want it to hold peak but not be so stiff you can't push it through a decorating tip.

I can't wait to read your recipes!













2 comments:

  1. What a great idea! I think that gingerbread cookie recipe is the one my family uses too. DEcoprating them is an annual tradition with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny. It happens here, too. First the head, then the arms and legs. The gingerbread is everybody's favorite for Christmas.

      Delete