Saturday, January 31, 2015

Second Pair of Blocks for Quilt Along 2015


Progress!!

With February's blocks finished, the top and bottom sections of this little wall hanging are now complete! I'm really excited about these new blocks. 

I've moved the hearts and butterflies around again. Who knows where they'll end up.
I love this stage where experiments with placement can still lead to surprises.    

I fell in love with these adorable little blue and yellow birds.  I wonder if he's singing to her or if he's singing just because he's happy. 



These little guys completely captured my imagination. In fact, I couldn't let them go. I had to play with the idea one more time. The result was the "Sun's Up" mug rug pair that I posted earlier this week. 

After making the birds I began work on the spade. I definitely wanted a spade in this spot, but, my goodness, it was plain! Downright bland and boring. What could I add to liven it up? 

I started digging through my scrap basket and my eyes landed on the polka dot fabric. There was my splash of color. Problem solved. 


Here's the truth. Much as I love the birds, it's the itty-bitty gloves that have completely stolen my heart. 

The background fabric for the quilt is white, and the background of the polka dots is also white. With my old eyes, I knew I'd run into problems when I was trying to see exactly where to place my needle for the blanket stitching. So, I pulled out my favorite marker and drew a line all around the edge of the gloves. It really made a difference. The Frixion ink disappears with the touch of an iron, so I didn't have to worry about permanent marks.


All stitched! I used a triple stitch (jean's stitch) to define the fingers and the thumb.



If I were to do this again, I would make one change. I'd use a slightly wider blanket stitch on the gloves. If I had any plans to launder this wall hanging, I'd make this block over. As it is, though, when I've finished the quilting I will likely use a bit of fray stop along that edge just to be sure nothing pulls away from the stitches. 


Now, I need to go to work on the March block. I'm debating choices. Flower pot or wheelbarrow? It will be one or the other for sure and it will most definitely be colorful!

Have a super February! 






 And, please save some of those chocolates for me!



4 comments:

  1. I don't know how this quilt can be any more adorable !!! Can't wait to get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Edith! Let's hope the remaining blocks turn out well. Fingers crossed!

      Delete
  2. cute blocks for the summer garden...love it...can I purchase them now on your site??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like them, Maggie. The patterns can be purchased through Craftsy. If you click on the photo in the link to my pattern s on the right hand side of this page, you will be taken straight to the pattern. If you aren't a member of Craftsy, you can sign up very quickly and easily.

      Delete